Tuesday, May 02, 2006

fidget

My ibook came yesterday. It is certainly the best birthday present I've ever bought myself (I'm 28 on Saturday). It's brand new and seems like more than I deserve, but it also feels like a real investment in myself and what I want to be doing--writing. I'm throwing a party Friday night and my parents arrive for a visit from Pennsylvania, so I've been too busy doing stuff to do anything more than open the box. But I can't stop thinking about cracking into it and filling all the empty space with writing. It reminds me of being in seventh grade English class. Mr. Argot taught us grammar and I was getting it. I loved English enough, even back then, that getting grammar was pretty stimulating for me (I know--nerd). Sarah Smith sat behind me and she seemed to be a little less into the grammar thing than I was. Sarah was a quiet girl but with a jittery, excitable streak. She had upturned eyes and a tipped-down chin when she smiled as if she was waiting for you to kiss her blonde bangs. That day in English she was antsy. I could hear her fingertips drumming the desktop rhythmically. I glanced halfway over my shoulder a few times before turning enough so she knew I was noticing her tapping. "Sorry," she said in a whisper. "I just really wish I had a piano right now." I understood what she meant. Sometimes you just really want to play. That's how I feel now; stuck at work and drumming my fingers on these keys to mark time and temper my impatience until I get to the real stuff. These days writing is my play, like being let out for recess and right now I'm dying to run...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»